Over time, I will add in lots of cool stories and “how-to” articles on the subjects.
I have done all three. Some tell me I do well. And I know people who do much better than I do – so, I should have some guest writers. No ghost writing.
And having done all three, I can tell you that there are some basic rules to succeed at all three:
1. Do it. Practice may not make you perfect, but it will make you a lot better. I have known people who started at Toastmaster’s and could not put two words together. Over a couple of years, they began to give great speeches. I have seen the same in the blogosphere. And several of my writer friends told me they followed a similar path as they got published.
2. Get a mentor. You can do that by email now.
3. Take classes. Toastmaster’s is cheap. You can take online classes if you need to.
4. Read. I cannot think of anything I have learned that was not from reading ….
5. Do it some more. Go write an email. Go write a message on facebook, twitter, or your blog.
6. Go read or teach at a local library, bookstore, or church …. public feedback is instantaneous. And it helps with fear of failure. Toastmaster’s is good for this, as well.
7. Hire an editor once a month ….
8. Do it.
And I “R” a geek. So, I will also break down some of the more technical parts of the genres. From “Why Power Point is a waste of time” to “Why should you use analytics with your blog site.” These can take you from average to WOW! I don’t mean that in a bad way. I almost forgot …. Analytics is a fancy term for “Web site statistics.” It deals with everything, from “What web page referred my reader to my blog” to “How do I find out if my ‘stalker’ is checking up on me?” Yes, you can do that.
And yes, I was that good. I have taught some FBI level “Computer Forensic Scientists.” But, NO, I did not teach them everything. I doubt I added 1% …. But, I have learned a lot about blogging & internet(ing).
The data is already out there. I have been doing this for most of the last decade. So, as I have learned all of this from years of training, the beginning blogger or speaker doesn’t get exposed to these concepts. Notice, I did not say advanced. These should be basic concepts.
And if you cannot wait …. google or reading can teach you what I will …. But, come back and visit anyway …. You will teach all of us something I missed.